Learn how to make pesto with this classic basil pesto recipe. With just 5 main ingredients and 5 minutes of your time, it really couldn't be any easier. It's delicious on seafood, chicken pasta, salad, sandwiches, pizza, eggs, you name it!
What is Pesto?
Pesto is a bright, herbaceous sauce that originated in Italy. Traditionally it is made with fresh basil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and olive oil. However, it can be made with a variety of fresh herbs, nuts, and cheeses, making it a very adaptable recipe. It can be made with a pestle and mortar, food processor, or blender.vIt's one of those sauces that tastes great on a wide variety of dishes.
Ingredients in the Best Pesto Recipe
How to make a Classic Basil Pesto Recipe
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Add the basil, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic and salt to a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed. With the machine running, slowly pour in the olive oil.
How to Use Pesto
- Add some to this Homemade Roasted Garlic Mayo for a delicious pesto mayo recipe.
- Make this Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Drizzle some over top of this Naan Breakfast Pizza
- Use it as a dip for these Crispy Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Make some of this Pesto Deviled Eggs
Recipe Tips and Pesto Variations
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Pesto is a great source of healthy fats.
If a recipe calls for a cup of basil, you loosely pack the fresh basil leaves into the measuring cup.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Yes, you can. I recommend freezing leftover pesto in an ice cub tray so that you have ready made sauce bombs whenever you need them.
Heat the pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #hungryfoodie on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW Hungry Foodie on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.Print
How to Make Pesto
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 ½ cups 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Learn how to make pesto with this classic basil pesto recipe. With just 5 main ingredients and 5 minutes of your time, it really couldn't be any easier. It's delicious on seafood, chicken pasta, sandwiches, pizza, eggs, you name it!
- 3 ½ cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed, loosely packed
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ to ½ cup olive oil
- Add the basil, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper to a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed. With the machine running, slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Make it dairy free: To make a dairy free pesto, simply omit the parmesan cheese. For that nutty flavor that parmesan cheese imparts, you can add ¼ cup of nutritional yeast in place of the parmesan cheese.
- Add lemon: For a fresh burst of acid, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Net carbs by serving: 4g
- Changes up the nuts: While pine nuts might be the most traditional route, this is also delicious with walnuts, pistachios, almonds, pecans, or even sunflower seeds.
- Mix up the herbs: Try mixing several different herbs and leafy greens to play with the flavors a bit. Some of my favorites are parsley, arugula, kale, cilantro, chives, green onions, mint and spinach.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Condiment Recipes
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 347
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: the best pesto recipe, how to make pesto, classic basil pesto, garlic pesto, parsley pesto, dairy free pesto, nut free pesto
Did you try this recipe? Tell us your thoughts!