This Creamy Mushroom Soup is rich and creamy, with the earthy flavor of mushroom, savory flavors of garlic and onion, combined with the silkiness of heavy cream and a hint of white wine. It is loaded with flavor, but incredibly easy to make.
Ingredients in Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Cremini Mushrooms - For this creamy mushroom soup, I used cremini mushrooms as they are readily available and add great flavor. You can use any of your favorite mushrooms, or a mix of multiple types of mushrooms. (Try this Creamy Roasted Garlic and Mushroom Soup with Bacon)
- Chicken Stock - Both chicken and beef stock will work great with this recipe. You can even use vegetable stock. (Try some of these other delicious soup recipes)
- Garlic and onion - Garlic and onion are a must. Alliums add so much flavor to any dish.
- White Wine - The white wine enhances and intensifies the flavor of this cream of mushroom soup. But don't worry, the alcohol content cooks off. You can omit it or substitute it with extra stock. (I get all my wines here)
- Flour - The flour in this mushroom soup is used to thicken it and give it body. For a gluten free variation, you can omit the flour, add some extra heavy cream and let the soup simmer for longer to allow time to reduce and thicken.
- Heavy Cream - The heavy cream gives this soup a creamy, silky texture. You can also use half and half.
How to make Cream of Mushroom Soup
Step by step instructions
STEP 1: Heat the butter and olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and sauté until they are tender and translucent.
STEP 2: Add the garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant. Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up and mixing in any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
STEP 3: Add the mushrooms and the thyme and cook until the mushrooms are tender and have released their liquid.
STEP 4: Whisk the flour into ½ cup of the chicken stock to make a slurry. Whisk until there are no clumps. Mix the flour slurry in with the mushrooms.
STEP 5: Add the remaining chicken stock to the pan, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
STEP 6: Mix in the heavy cream and let simmer for 10 additional minutes.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this in a saucepan on the stove and adding a little extra cream to help bring it back to life.
- Add Bacon: This is delicious garnished with some crispy smoky bacon.
- Make it loaded: Load it up with cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions on top. (Try this Bacon Cheeseburger Soup)
- Make it low carb: To make this a low carb mushroom soup recipe, simply omit the flour and add an extra ¼ cup of heavy cream. Let it simmer just a bit longer to help it thicken. (Try this Spinach and Artichoke Dip Chicken Soup)
- Make it vegetarian: To make this a vegetarian cream of mushroom soup, simply swap out the chicken stock for vegetable stock. (Try this Roasted Red Pepper, Tomato, and Smoked Gouda Bisque)
- Go wild: Use a mix of all of your favorite wild edible mushrooms.
- Add some crunch: This creamy mushroom soup is delicious with some crunchy Garlic Parmesan Croutons on top.
Frequently Asked Questions
For a dairy free version, substitute the heavy cream with full fat coconut milk.
To make mushroom soup whole30 compliant, simply omit the flour and wine, swap the heavy cream out for coconut milk, and swap the butter for ghee or butter flavored coconut oil.
To make this a low carb mushroom soup recipe, simply omit the flour and add an extra ¼ cup of heavy cream. Let it simmer just a bit longer to help it thicken.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Sign up for our Newsletter
Never miss a recipe! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBEPrint