This is absolutely the Best Gluten Free Carrot Cake recipe. Perfectly spiced layers of moist carrot cake, topped with a velvety cream cheese frosting and toasted walnuts. Perfect to celebrate special occasions and holidays like Easter, or simply satisfy your sweet tooth.
Ingredients in The Best Gluten Free Carrot Cake Recipe
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
How to make Low Carb Carrot Cake
Making the Gluten Free Carrot Cake Batter
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of 2 8-inch springform loose bottom baking pans with a circle of parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper and the sides of the tins with butter.
Using an electric hand mixer, in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and the erythritol together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract and mix again until well combined.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients - almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and sea salt. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined. Stir in the grated carrots and toasted walnuts.
Assembling the Cake and making the Sugar Free Cream Cheese Frosting
Using a rubber spatula, spoon the batter into the 2 prepared baking pans. Use the spatula to smooth the tops. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pans and allow them to fully cool on a wire rack.
Using a hand mixer, cream together the butter and the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sweetener and the vanilla and mix until combined. Add cream, if needed, and beat again until smooth and creamy.
Spread a layer of frosting on top of one of the cakes. Then add the other layer of cake on top and cover the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Top with chopped walnuts.
Recipe Tips for this Gluten Free Carrot Cake
Frequently Asked Questions about this Sugar Free Carrot Cake Recipe
No, this recipe is written and tested to be low carb and gluten-free. Almond flour and coconut flour are essential to this recipe.
Store leftover carrot cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. It can also be frozen for longer storage.
Yes, you can prepare the cake layers and frosting in advance. Assemble the cake just before serving for the freshest taste and best presentation.
Yes, you can make cupcakes with this recipe. Adjust the baking time to about 20-25 minutes for cupcakes.
Cream cheese adds richness to the cake, as well as to the frosting. It's a key ingredient, but if you have dietary restrictions or preferences, you can substitute a dairy-free cream cheese alternative.
Carrot Cake Variations
Cream Cheese Frosting Variations
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting: Add orange zest and a splash of orange juice or 1 teaspoon of pure orange extract to the cream cheese frosting for a citrusy kick.
- Pina Colada Frosting: Add a teaspoon of pure pineapple extract and ¼ cup of shredded coconut to the frosting for tropical flavor.
- Maple Cream Cheese Frosting: Drizzle a sugar-free maple syrup or 1 teaspoons of pure maple extract into the cream cheese frosting for a warm, maple flavor.
- Zucchini Carrot Cake: Replace half of the grated carrots with grated zucchini for added moisture and a nutritional boost (I get all my fresh produce at a discount here) Code Kyndra15 for $15 off
- Nut-Free Gluten Free Carrot Cake: If you have nut allergies, omit the walnuts or substitute them with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or shredded coconut. In place of the almond flour, you can use sunflower seed flour.
- Fruit Additions: Include chopped dried pineapple, dried mango, dried cranberries, or raisins for extra sweetness and fruity flavors.
- Protein Boost: Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder for a protein-packed carrot cake.
- Spice It Up: Experiment with different spices like cardamom or allspice for a unique twist on the classic carrot cake.
More Gluten Free Recipes
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #hungryfoodie on social! We love seeing what you are making. FOLLOW Hungry Foodie on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST for more delicious recipes.Print