Learn how to make pesto with this classic basil pesto recipe. With just 5 main ingredients and 5 minutes of your time, it really couldn't be any easier. It's delicious on seafood, chicken pasta, sandwiches, pizza, eggs, you name it!
- 3 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add the basil, parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper to a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed. With the machine running, slowly pour in the olive oil.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Make it dairy free: To make a dairy free pesto, simply omit the parmesan cheese. For that nutty flavor that parmesan cheese imparts, you can add 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast in place of the parmesan cheese.
- Add lemon: For a fresh burst of acid, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.
- Net carbs by serving: 4g
- Changes up the nuts: While pine nuts might be the most traditional route, this is also delicious with walnuts, pistachios, almonds, pecans, or even sunflower seeds.
- Mix up the herbs: Try mixing several different herbs and leafy greens to play with the flavors a bit. Some of my favorites are parsley, arugula, kale, cilantro, chives, green onions, mint and spinach.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Condiment Recipes
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 347
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 6g
Keywords: the best pesto recipe, how to make pesto, classic basil pesto, garlic pesto, parsley pesto, dairy free pesto, nut free pesto