These Keto Lemon Glazed Donuts are light and fluffy, and full of bright, fresh lemony flavor. In less than 30 minutes and with minimal ingredients, these low carb, gluten free donuts are the perfect quick and easy sweet treat.
- Blanched almond flour: I recommend using a blanched almond flour and sifting it, or using a superfine almond flour. It will give you a much smoother texture. (Try these Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites)
- Coconut flour: Coconut flour is extremely absorbent, so it is important to measure it very precisely, or else it can really throw this recipe off.
- Baking powder: If you are not a frequent baker, it is a good idea to make sure your baking powder is not expired. Old baking powder can drastically change the outcome of baked goods.
- Almond milk: If you are not a fan of almond milk, you can sub heavy cream, coconut milk, or the nut milk of your choice.
Step By Step Instructions
How to make Keto Lemon Glazed Donuts
STEP 1: Add the eggs, butter, sweetener, almond milk, vanilla extract and lemon extract to a large mixing bowl. Beat until all ingredients are well combined. To a separate bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
STEP 2: Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until all ingredients are well incorporated.
STEP 3: Divide the mixture between 6 wells of the prepared donut pan, filling each one ¾ of the way full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until donuts are golden brown on the surface. Let cool completely before removing from the pan.
STEP 4: Add the sweetener and lemon juice to a bowl and whisk to combine. Dip each donut into the glaze and then place on a wire rack to let the glaze set.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage: Store these low carb donuts in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
- Donut Pans: A quality donut pan will make all the difference in the world when it comes to whether or not your keto donuts stick to the pan or not. (I recommend this one) Make sure to grease the pan very well.
- Make them mini: Use a mini donut pan to double the amount of donuts this recipe makes.
- Toppings: Top these keto lemon glazed donuts with some unsweetened shredded coconut, low carb sprinkles, fresh berries, candied lemon, or even some keto granola
- Flavor combos: instead of lemon, try making this with fresh orange juice or lime juice. You can even mix things up and use a combination of all three for a delicious citrus glazed donut.
- Make chocolate glaze: Make a chocolate glazed version by omitting the lemon extract and making a chocolate glaze. You can make a low carb chocolate glaze by combining powdered sweetener, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla extract and almond milk.
- Skip the glaze: skip the glaze and coat them with a light dusting of powdered sweetener for a powdered sugar variation
Frequently Asked Questions
A good rule of thumb is to substitute 1 cup of almond flour with ¼ of coconut flour and one additional egg for every ¼ cup of coconut flour. It may also be necessary to double the liquid called for in the recipe as well. If the mixture seems too dry, simply add more liquid, a little at a time until you reach your desired consistency. If your mixture is too wet, add additional coconut flour, mixing in 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.