Sweet, salty, crispy, caramelized, and delicious, this Keto Candied Bacon is made with only 4 ingredients, and ready in 30 minutes. Pair with coffee, enjoy as an any time snack, or serve on a burger for the perfect play on sweet and salty.
- Bacon: this recipe makes 4 servings, about 4 slices of bacon each. That equates to 16 slices, or about a pound of bacon. I don't recommend using thick cut bacon, it'll result in a chewier texture and you won't get the crispy effect. (I get all my bacon here)
- Brown Sugar Erythritol: you'll want to lightly pack your brown sugar erythritol as not to overpower the sweet to salty ratio. I like this brand, but you can use any 1:1 keto brown sugar sweetener (or even regular brown sugar if you're not worried about the carbs).
- Sugar Free Maple Syrup: finding a sugar free maple syrup can be tricky -- you want something that matches the flavor, but doesn't have a lot of gunk. My favorite sugar free maple syrup is Lakanto; it's still a bit thinner than regular maple syrup, but the flavor is spot on.
Step By Step Instructions
How to make Keto Candied Bacon
STEP 1: First, preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with foil or parchment paper, and then place oven-safe wire racks onto each baking sheet. Add the bacon, sweetener, syrup, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to combine everything and make sure each piece of bacon is well-coated.
STEP 2: Next, lay the bacon in a single layer across the wire racks. Bake until the sugar is melted and the bacon is golden brown and crispy, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until crispy. Rotate the trays once halfway through. The bacon will continue to crisp as it cools. Lastly, let the bacon cool for 5 minutes before removing from the racks.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage: store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. You can also store in the freezer up to 6 months (if it lasts that long).
- Reheating: reheat this Keto Candied Bacon in an air fryer or oven for 2-3 minutes at 350°F.
- Make it everything: make Everything Bagel Candied Bacon! Omit the black pepper, and adding 2 teaspoons of Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Spice it up: Add ½ teaspoon smoked paprika to add a nice smoky flavor. It complements the sweetness of the brown sugar erythritol and the saltiness of the bacon perfectly.
- Serving suggestions: enjoy this Keto Candied Bacon on its own as an easy breakfast or snack. It pairs well with Dairy Free Boosted Coffee or Orange Creamsicle Mimosas. Try it mixed into keto granola for a low carb snack, or serve it on a burger (try it with peanut butter!).
- Make it in an air fryer: to make this Keto Candied Bacon in the air fryer, be sure to not overcrowd the basket. Cook at 400°F for 10 minutes, checking halfway through.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or the freezer up to 6 months (if it lasts that long).
Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil (this makes clean up super easy) and cook the bacon at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Reheat this Keto Candied Bacon in an air fryer or oven for 2 to 3 minutes at 350°F.