Ready in less than 30 minutes, and made with minimal ingredients, these Chewy Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect marriage of a classic buttery chocolate chip cookie and ooey, gooey s'mores. Enjoy this campfire classic remade into the perfect fresh baked cookie!
- Butter: To me, brown butter is how all of the best chocolate chip cookies start, and this recipe is no exception! Browned butter gives these cookies more depth of flavor, and adds a caramel-like undertone that pairs perfectly with the chocolate.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar is the key to chewy chocolate chip cookies. It is naturally moist and makes for a softer, chewier cookie. Whereas using all white sugar will produce a thinner, crispier cookie.
- Mini marshmallows: I highly recommend making this recipe with high quality mini marshmallows, like this brand, or even homemade mini marshmallows.
- Chocolate chips: the quality of your chocolate chips is also important! This is my favorite brand, and although I used the semi-sweet version in this recipe to cut down on the sweetness, you could also use milk chocolate chips.
- Flour: use a high quality all-purpose flour for the best results. For a gluten free version, you can swap the flour for this gluten free baking flour.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP 1: Heat butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until the butter turns golden brown. Remove it from the heat and let it cool. Add cooled butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to a large bowl and mix well to combine.
STEP 2: Add eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl. Using a hand mixer or electric whisk, beat on low until fluffy.
STEP 3: In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well incorporated, then add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time to the wet ingredients, mixing as you add. Mix until all ingredients are well combined but not overworked.
STEP 4: Add in the chocolate chips.
STEP 5: Once the chocolate chips are well incorporated, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
STEP 6: Use a small cookie scoop to make 20 balls of dough.
STEP 7: Press your thumb in the center of each cookie dough ball to form a cavity. Next, place 2 mini marshmallows inside.
STEP 8: Roll the cookie balls until marshmallows are completely covered. Then, place them on the prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake according to directions, pressing additional marshmallows into the cookies 1 to 2 minutes before they're done baking.
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Storage: store these cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days.
- Change up the chocolate: trade the semi-sweet chocolate chips for milk chocolate if you'd like a sweeter Chewy Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookie. Try peanut butter chips for a fluffernutter cookie. You can even use butterscotch chips, or white chocolate chips.
- Browned butter: do not skip this step! Brown butter is what takes the classic flavors in this recipe to the next level. Do not overcook the butter, or it will make the cookies bitter.
- Mixing the dough: be careful not to overwork the dough, or your Chewy Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies will become dense and heavy.
- Add bacon: I know it sounds crazy, but the sweet, saltiness of this Keto Candied Bacon goes perfectly in these cookies. Just chop up some of the cooked bacon and mix it into the cookie dough before baking.
- Cut the sugar: swap out the brown sugar and white sugar for brown sugar erythritol and granular erythritol. You can also use stevia sweetened chocolate chips and sugar free marshmallows to cut down on the sugar.
- S'mores cookies: make these Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies a S'mores Cookie by adding 4 chopped Graham crackers to the dough with the chocolate chips.
- Make it low carb: Start with this Keto Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe and then add these low carb marshmallows
Frequently Asked Questions
You can make gluten free chocolate chip cookies by swapping out the all-purpose flour for a gluten free baking flour. My favorite is Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1.
You can make sugar free chocolate chip cookies by swapping out the brown sugar and white sugar for brown sugar erythritol and granular erythritol. You can also use stevia sweetened chocolate chips and sugar free marshmallows to cut down on the sugar.
Too much sugar, too little flour, and overworking the dough will result in a heavier, dense cookie. Make sure to be precise with measurements and only mix the dough enough to combine the ingredients.
Yes! After scooping the dough into balls, place on a baking sheet in the freeze to chill until firm to the touch. Then add to a freezer bag and store for up to 3 months. To defrost, add the cookie dough balls to a baking sheet and place in the refrigerator until soft. Make a thumbprint in the dough and add marshmallows according to directions and bake as directed.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Sign Up for Our Newsletter
Never miss a recipe! Get our newest recipes sent directly to your inbox as soon as they are released. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBEPrint