This Creamy Mushroom Soup is rich and creamy, with the earthy flavors of mushrooms, savory flavors of garlic and onions, combined with the silkiness of heavy cream and a hint of white wine. It is loaded with flavor, but incredibly easy to make.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine (I use this wine)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, optional (see recipe notes)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the onions and sauté until they are tender and translucent.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up and mixing in any bits that are stuck to the bottom.
- Add the mushrooms and the thyme and cook until the mushrooms are tender and have released their liquid.
- Whisk the flour into 1/2 cup of the chicken stock to make a slurry. Whisk until there are no clumps. Mix the flour slurry in with the mushrooms.
- Add the remaining chicken stock to the pan, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix in the heavy cream and let simmer for 10 additional minutes.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this in a saucepan on the stove and adding a little extra cream to help bring it back to life.
- Add Bacon: This is delicious garnished with some crispy smoky bacon.
- Make it loaded: Load it up with cheese, sour cream, bacon, and green onions on top.
- Make it low carb: To make this a low carb mushroom soup recipe, simply omit the flour and add an extra 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Let it simmer just a bit longer to help it thicken.
- Make it vegetarian: To make this a vegetarian cream of mushroom soup, simply swap out the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup Recipes
- Method: Simmering
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
Keywords: cream of mushrooms soup recipe, creamy mushrooms soup, easy soup recipes, keto mushroom soup recipes, low carb mushroom soup recipes