I love broccoli... Love, love, love it. I could eat it every day and never get tired of it. Are you making good use of the entire broccoli, stems and stalks? Don't toss those precious stalks in the trash. There are so many great ways to use them. Here are just a few of those uses. I've thrown in a few creative broccoli stalk recipes for you as well!
• Toss them in a frittata - beef up the fiber in your breakfast, while adding some beneficial vitamins and minerals. Use a box grater to shred the stalk and throw them in your favorite frittata recipe.
• Compost them - If you are a gardener or do any kind of farming, composting is a great way to turn your unwanted food scraps into fertilizer. Waste not, want not! Use your food to help grow more food. Sustainability at it's finest. Composting can be really clean and easy with a portable compost tumbler.
• Pickle them - for a quick and easy, healthy snack, you can cut the stalk into matchstick pieces and do a quick pickle.
• Use them for vegetable stock - Throw them in a slow cooker, along with some water, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper etc. and simmer to reduce down to a nice healthy vegetable stock.
• Purée them - Shred the stalks, boil or roast them, and then puree them and add them to a delicious marinara sauce. This is a great way to sneak some extra vegetables into your children's diets.
• Use them in a stir-fry - Broccoli stalks have a pretty mild flavor, but they hold their shape and keep a nice crunch. Try using them in a stir-fry or cutting them into chunks and roasting them in the oven as a quick side dish.