This Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Barley Soup is the ultimate in winter comfort food. Made with tender chunks of beef, fresh vegetables, barley, and a rich, delicious broth. It is simple to make and comes together in just 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ½ pounds chuck roast, cut into ½ inch pieces (I get all my meat here)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (this is the only salt I use) code PEACE for 15% off
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 ribs celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (14.5-oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, with the juices
- 2/3 cup pearled barley
- Set the instant pot to sauté mode on medium heat then add the olive oil and onion and cook until the onion becomes translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds before adding the beef, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and chili powder.
- Stir and cook until most of the beef becomes browned, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, carrots, bay leaf, beef broth and tomatoes.
- Finally, stir in the barley and turn the instant pot off.
- Place the lid on the pot and seal it along with the quick release valve on top.
- Set it to manual and cook for 10 minutes (it will take about 10 minutes to heat up before the timer starts).
- Carefully push open the quick release valve on top to release all the steam, then remove the lid and set aside.
- Serve with freshly chopped parsley for garnish along with toasted bread slices if desired.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this soup on the stovetop.
- Make Ahead: While this recipe is already quick and easy, you can prep all the veggies and the beef ahead of time and then just toss it in the Instant Pot when you are ready to eat. Alternatively, you can prep the meat and veggies ahead of time and freeze them for later use.
- Freezing: I like to make a double batch of this and freeze half for later. I simply vacuum seal it and then reheat it on the stovetop.
- Category: Soup Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Keywords: Vegetable beef soup, beef barley soup, vegetable beef barley soup, instant pot soup recipes, beef soup recipes, instant pot vegetable beef barley soup, easy soup recipes, 30 minute meals