These thin and crispy gingersnap cookies are the perfect balance of spicy and sweet. Made with a blend of ginger, cinnamon, and other warming spices, these cookies are crispy on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside. They make a delicious addition to any holiday cookie platter, and are perfect for enjoying with a cup of tea or hot cocoa. This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies, so there will be plenty to share with friends and family. Enjoy!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses (I use this brand)
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour (I use this brand)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and molasses until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until a dough forms.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet, spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Storage: Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze the cookies for up to 3 months and thaw them at room temperature before serving.
- Butter: Make sure to soften the butter before using it in the recipe. This will make it easier to cream together with the sugar and incorporate the other ingredients.
- Mixing: Whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl before adding them to the butter mixture. This will help to evenly distribute the spices and leavening agents in the dough.
- Cooling: Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This will help to prevent them from becoming too soft or sticky.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Dessert Recipes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: German
- Serving Size: 2 cookies
- Calories: 165
Keywords: the best gingersnap cookie recipe, crispy gingersnap cookies, chewy gingersnap cookies, gluten free gingersnap cookies, holiday cookie recipes, Christmas cookie recipes