This French Onion Chicken Recipe is a quick and easy one pot meal. Pan-seared chicken, simmered in a rich and flavorful pan sauce, made with caramelized onions, sherry, and fresh herbs. Topped with melty mozzarella and Gruyere cheeses, garnished with fresh thyme, and served alongside creamy whipped mashed potatoes and roasted broccoli. This easy chicken recipe is sure to be a family favorite.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 total)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cooking sherry (I use this brand)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Lightly season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. In a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 2 tablespoons of the butter, the onions and the garlic. Cook until the onions are nice and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Remove the onions from the pan and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and pan-sear the chicken on both sides until they are a deep golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside. (Chicken will not be fully cooking during this stage)
- De-glaze the pan with stock. Using a rubber spatula, scrape up and mix in any remaining bits of chicken stuck to the bottom of the pan. Let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low to low, add the cooking sherry, garlic, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 6 minutes, or until the sauce has reduced by half and thickened slightly.
- Add caramelized onions back to the pan and nestle in the chicken, and simmer until the chicken is cooked all the way through, about 10 minutes or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Spoon the onions and some sauce over the chicken and then top with a combination of gruyere and mozzarella cheese. Bake in the oven for 7 to 8 mins at 275°F or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Spoon a little bit of onion gravy on top and garnish with fresh thyme.
- Storage: Store leftover French Onion Chicken in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Reheating: You can reheat this dish in a pan on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Thickening the sauce: If you would like the sauce to be thicker, you can add a little xanthan gum, tapioca flour or arrowroot flour.
- Slow cooker: To make this recipe in a crockpot, add all ingredients except for the cheese and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. Sprinkle the cheese over top and cook for one additional hour.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Chicken Recipes
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 524
- Fat: 27g
- Carbohydrates: 9.2g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 51g
Keywords: Keto French Onion Chicken, Low carb French Onion Chicken, Caramelized Onion Chicken, Sherry Chicken, Keto Chicken Recipe, Low carb chicken recipe, French Onion Chicken recipe, Comfort food recipe, Keto comfort food, Low carb comfort food, French Onion Chicken casserole, Keto Friendly Chicken dish, Keto French onion soup chicken, Keto diet chicken recipe, Low carb diet chicken recipe, Gluten-free chicken recipe, French onion chicken skillet