These Cheesy Spinach Stuffed Peppers are the perfect easy weeknight meal. Tender, roasted peppers, stuffed with a rich, creamy spinach filling, and topped with melty cheese. They are low carb, gluten free, and vegetarian.
- 4 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions or 1 large, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach or 14 ounces frozen spinach
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the peppers in a baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the peppers are in the oven, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the spinach, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Reduce the heat to low and mix in 1 1/2 cups of the mozzarella cheese and the ricotta cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted and creamy. Taste, and add more salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide the mixture evenly between all of the bell peppers. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven, and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly, and the edges of the peppers are slightly charred.
- Net carbs per serving: 7.5g
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating these cheesy spinach stuffed peppers in the oven or the air-fryer. Heat at 275°F until warmed through.
- Make ahead: You can make the filling ahead of time and then prepare the peppers when you are ready to eat.
- Add a protein: As the recipe is written, these are the perfect vegetarian stuffed peppers, but the cheesy spinach filling is also delicious with shredded chicken, shrimp, crab, or even sausage added.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian Recipes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 2 pepper halves
- Calories: 478
- Fat: 33g
- Carbohydrates: 11.5g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 30g
Keywords: vegetarian stuffed peppers recipe, keto stuffed peppers, cheese stuffed peppers, cheesy spinach stuffed peppers, 30 minute meals, vegetarian keto recipes