This delicious Carrot Bacon Recipe is the perfect vegan bacon alternative. Thinly sliced strips of carrot, marinated in soy sauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin and cloves. I know that vegan carrot bacon might sound crazy, but just trust me on this one.
- 2 large carrots, ends trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (I use this brand)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke (I use this brand), optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Use a mandolin or peeler to slice the carrots lengthwise (end to end) into long strips.
- Add the soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, liquid smoke (if using), cumin, and cloves into a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Line the carrots slices in a large square shallow container and pour the marinade over top. Make sure that the marinade is equally saturating all of the carrot slices. Let marinade for 15 minutes, up to an hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook the carrots for 3 minutes on each side, or until they start to turn golden brown and get crispy. Depending on the size pan you are using, you may need to cook the carrots in batches.
- Place a cooking rack on top of a baking sheet and line the cooked carrots in a single layer across the cooling rack. Leave the carrots on the cooling rack until they have dried and crisped up.
- Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Reheating: I recommend reheating this in a pan on the stovetop or in an air fryer.
- Make vegan bacon bits: To turn this vegan bacon recipe into vegan bacon bits, simply chop up the strips of carrot, marinade, and then quickly fry until crispy.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Vegan Recipes
- Method: Pan-Frying
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 86
Keywords: vegan bacon recipes, carrot bacon recipe, the best vegan bacon, vegetarian bacon recipes, low carb carrot recipes, keto vegan recipes, vegan carrot recipes